History of Grace – May 21, 2017
Ben Parkinson, Little Rock Campus
- How is God using your life to glorify Him? The story of Joseph demonstrates God’s working through one man’s life in order that others might see the character of God. This is a tough question to answer, but God loves to display His story of grace to the world through the lives of His chosen people.
- Read through Genesis 42. Our desperate, helpless, and guilty state before God is illustrated. God’s rightful position over us is demonstrated. Our need to have
convictionof our sin is demonstrated. When your sin is exposed in your heart, how do you tend to react?
- Read Genesis 43:30. Joseph felt compassion toward his brothers. Think through the ways that God treats us in the midst of our sin. What does this do in your heart? Have you received grace and mercy from God, but then not
beenwilling to offer the same grace and mercy to someone else?
- Read Genesis 44:32-33; 50:15-21. Joseph wanted to see if his brothers had changed. Judah demonstrated their heart change by offering his own life in the place of Benjamin. This is what Jesus has done for us. Where do you struggle to believe God has forgiven you? How do you respond knowing that you do not deserve the grace and mercy that God extends to you?
- God uses the story of Joseph through the last 10 chapters of Genesis to glorify Himself. Different aspects of the gospel are highlighted throughout Joseph’s interaction with his family. Ben shared seven different aspects of the gospel in his message. Talk through the different ways the gospel is shown in Joseph. How does your picture of the gospel change or enlarge because of what you see in Joseph’s life?